1. Food

Perfect Prime Rib of Beef with the Mysterious "Method X"

By November 30, 2009

Prime Rib I posted this alternative method for cooking perfectly medium-rare prime rib last year, and the feedback was so positive I decided to re-post it in case you're planning on serving one for Christmas. Since then I've published a detailed step-by-step photo recipe illustrating this amazing prime rib method.

This method is said to work for any size prime rib. The meat is brought to room temperature (this is critical), and seasoned anyway you like. Then you multiply the exact weight times 5 minutes. For me it was 3.75 x 5 = 18.75 minutes. The roast is cooked at 500 degrees F. for exactly that many minutes. The heat is turned off, and you wait 2 hours without opening the oven door.

Once you remove the prime rib, you'll be slicing into the juiciest, tenderest, most perfectly medium-rare meat you've ever seen. If you are looking for a traditional prime rib of beef method, check this link.

Prime Rib Photo (c) John Mitzewich

Comments

December 26, 2008 at 3:35 pm
(1) Lyn says:

I udnerstand this method does not work for electric ovens (which I have).

December 26, 2008 at 4:49 pm
(2) Tami says:

It would have been nice to know that this way of cooking prime rib does not work for electric ovens. I tried this way for CHristmas dinner and the meat, althouth cooked medium rare, was tough in the middle.

December 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(3) Maron says:

Yes, it does work with electric ovens. I have tried this in the past and it does a great job!
It’s a fun thing to do! Especially if you forget to put the roast in!

December 26, 2008 at 9:09 pm
(4) Chef John says:

yes, this does work in electric, heat is heat, as long as it gets to 500 (an accurate 500), and as long as it’s a good oven with a door that closes tight it will work the same.

If your PR was cooked Medium-rare, the cooking method would not make the center tough.

December 27, 2008 at 5:02 am
(5) Von says:

I followed the directions; beginning with allowing the meat to reach room temp, which I’m certain would cause timing problems if I hadn’t. I have only an electric oven – AND, again, following the directions exactly as stated, I let the meat “rest” in my closed oven without cheating to peak, or at anytime opening it during the prescribed time. The results – absolutely stunning, delicious, beautiful, and a fabulous tasting prime rib road, cooked to perfection! As the chef stated – heat is heat, but following directions cannot be so easily described.

December 27, 2009 at 3:42 am
(6) paolo says:

worked great! though, we don’t like med rare, we we want it slightly medium. it came out great, pretty much medium with a pinkness, so juicy, not dry, and oh so good.

got 8.77lbs prime rib from safeway for 4.88 / lbs, normally 8.99/lbs, a great steal!

1. Rubbed Sea Salt and fresh course ground pepper, covered with wrap and placed in refrigirator until I needed it.

2. Took out 1 1/2 hour before cooking to bring to room temperature. Spread 1 stick of butter, dug crosses into meat inserted whole garlic bulbs, chopped fresh rosemary, more course black pepper and sea salt

3. preheat oven to 500 degrees

4. 8.77 lbs x 5 min = 43.85 min , i turned off heat at 44 min just to round off. Left oven CLOSED for 2 hours after turning off heat

5. let sit for 60 minutes and temperature read 145 degrees. I checked temperature at 20 minutes and it as 120degrees. Letting it sit was the KEY, i think the longer it sits, the more it cooks, thus resulting in medium with a touch of pink

6. Even though it was medium, it was so juicy, NOT DRY, outer skin was golden color with crunchy texture.

7. SO GOOD, this is the only way I’m doing prime rib!

August 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(7) Delaire says:

I used this method with an 8 lb prime rib and it worked beautifully. Comments I got were “decadent”.
Am doing this method again for a smaller one.

November 27, 2010 at 6:03 pm
(8) Scott says:

This is the only way I make PR. I have a cuisinart rottiserie and it does not come out nearly as well as the X method. I, too, have an electric oven – not an issue. Follow the instructions! Gonna have to check out more of his recipes.

December 11, 2010 at 2:18 pm
(9) Bud says:

I just went back to method X to refresh and saw Paolo’s cpmments. I would suggest he and others not shop at Safeway for beef (where it’s cheap) because Safeway ONLY sells USDA Select. Please do not call this ‘Prime Rib’. Select is the grade below Choice, which is below Prime. Choice grade is the minimum for a standing rib to have good flavor and texture. Suggest you go to COSTCO where they sell high Choice and, occassionally, Prime graded Beef. This is NOT a Safeway slam, just the truth: They do not sell the beef you want for a Standing Rib Roast so be informed.

March 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm
(10) Luis says:

Does this method also work for cooking a rib eye roast?

March 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm
(11) americanfood says:

Sorry, Ive never tried, but imagine it would be similar.