Makes About 40 Pieces Buffalo Hot Wings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 lbs whole chicken wings, cut into pieces (one wing makes 2 pieces - the "flat" and the "drum")
- salt to taste
- 1 cup Frank's hot sauce (this is the brand used in Buffalo, but other hot sauce will work)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- cayenne pepper to taste for spicier wings
If necessary, cut whole wings into two pieces, discarding the tips. Season the wings with salt and spread out evenly on baking pan(s). Do not crowd. Bake for about 20 minutes, then remove from oven, turn the wings over and cook for another 20 minutes until the wings are cooked through and well-browned.
While the chicken wings are baking mix the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan, and over medium heat bring to a simmer, stir, and turn off. Taste sauce and add more spice if so desired. After the wings are cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the hot wings and toss with a spoon or spatula to completely coat. Let sit for 10 minutes and toss again. The chicken wings will soak in the sauce as they rest.
Toss one last time and transfer to a serving platter. These are always served with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing on the side.
Note: Frank's hot sauce is not a super-spicy sauce. If you are using another, much spicier product be sure to taste and adjust your sauce accordingly.