Not only is this fat-free soup nutritious and tasty, it's incredibly easy and fast to prepare. Both the main ingredients are on many of the "super foods" lists and this kale and sweet potato soup is a great way to enjoy them.
Makes about 10 cups of Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 large bunch kale, washed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh lemon wedges (optional)
- In a 4 quart saucepan, over high heat, bring the broth, water, salt, garlic, cayenne, and sweet potatoes to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Using a potato masher or a whisk, mash about 1/2 of the cubed sweet potatoes into the broth to thicken. The more you mash the thicker the texture.
- Add the kale and push down into the hot soup. Once the kale all wilts simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, or until the kale is tender and tasty. Undercooked kale can have a slightly bitter flavor that mellows with cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon. The lemon is optional, but really brings out the flavor of the kale and sweet potato.