Makes 6-8 Portions Wolfgang’s Hearty Beef Bolognese Sauce
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 5 pounds Roma tomatoes, cored, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped (or three 28-oz cans crushed tomato)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (cheesecloth sachet of 2 sprigs ea. rosemary, basil, parsley, oregano, 2 bay leaves, 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely diced
Add red wine and deglaze pan, reduce until almost all liquid has been absorbed. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and bouquet garni. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, carrot and celery. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add sautéed vegetables along with chicken stock to meat sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes until meat sauce is rich and thickened. Season to taste, if necessary.
NOTE: Beef Bolognese sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated in a covered container for 2 to 3 days in refrigerator or frozen for up to 3 months.