Makes 8 Beef and Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce, or other tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- For the peppers:
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup finely grated "real" Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced very fine
- 1 can 10-oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 large red bell peppers
Add all the filling ingredients to a mixing bowl, along with the reserved onions, and stir with a fork, or your hands, until the mixture is combined. Tip: you can cook a small piece of the filling to test the seasoning.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the stem, seeds and white membrane from each pepper. Place the bell peppers in the casserole dish, and fill each pepper with the stuffing. A little additional cheese can be grated over the top if desired.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 20-30 minutes, or until the peppers are very tender. Exact cooking time will depend on size, shape and thickness of the peppers. Best to let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with the sauce spooned over the top.