Makes 4 New York Strip Steaks with Warm Mushroom Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- For the mushroom salad:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds large button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- For the steaks:
- 4 thick-cut (10-ounces) New York strip steaks
- salt and coarse-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
Pour in the vinegar, and as soon as it starts to boil, turn off the heat. Transfer into a bowl, and allow to cool to room temperature. Add the tarragon, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Reserve until needed.
Season the steaks generously on both sides with salt and coarse-ground black pepper. Place a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and when hot, sear the steaks for about 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove to a plate to rest.
Turn the heat to low. Add the broth and use a wooden spoon to scrap the bottom of the pan. Once the broth has deglazed the caramelized meat juices from the bottom of the pan, add the butter and stir until it disappears. Turn off the heat and the mushroom mixture. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Place the steaks on warm plates and spoon over the warm mushrooms. Serve immediately.