If desired, this stuffed pepper recipe can be made using ground pork, turkey, or chicken. Also, this version for stuffed peppers doesn't call for rice, so it's perfect for low-carb diets.
Makes 6 Spicy Beef Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 8 oz Pepper Jack cheese, or regular Jack cheese, shredded
Prep the peppers by slicing off the top 1/2-inch (from the larger stem end) and remove the seeds, and white membranes with a spoon. Place peppers upright in a baking dish (trim bottoms slightly, if necessary, so peppers stand straight).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon the beef mixture into each pepper. Top each stuffed pepper with the cheese. Bake 35 minutes until the peppers are tender, and the cheese is golden brown.