Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 10 cups crumbled cornbread (see recipe below), or packaged cornbread stuffing cubes
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes,
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large bunch fresh kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 to 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
2. In a large Dutch-oven or heavy pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate line with paper towels. Spoon off all but 6 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
3. Return the pot to medium heat and add the sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and thyme. Cook, stirring often, until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add the kale, cover the pot and cook until the greens have wilted, about 7 minutes.
4. Put the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper into a large bowl, and mix to blend. Add the sweet potato mixture, pecans, and bacon and stir to mix. Add the cornbread and toss to mix. Add the eggs and mix to blend. Pour in enough of the broth to moisten the mixture.
5. Fill the turkey cavities with the stuffing or place in a buttered glass casserole. If baking the stuffing separately, cover it with a buttered pieces of aluminum foil and bake at 350°F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through. Uncover and bake until the top is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes more.
Cornbread Recipe• In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and mix to blend.
• In another bowl, combine 2 large eggs and 2 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
• Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out the cornbread onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
• The cornbread can be made ahead up to 2 days ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.