Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 pound country-style French bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 10 cups) 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One 7- to 8-ounce jar vacuum-packed chestnuts, quartered, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the apples and cook, without stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn the apple slices and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the chestnuts and brandy and cook until the liquid almost evaporates. Remove from the heat and let cool.
3. Add the apple-chestnut mixture to the bowl with the bread cubes along with the broth, pecans, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and eggs, tossing gently.
4. Spoon the stuffing into the turkey cavities, or into a buttered glass casserole. To bake the stuffing in a casserole, cover it with foil and bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe Notes• You can bake the bread cubes for this stuffing a day ahead of time. Store the cubes in an airtight container at room temperature.
• The pecans can be toasted ahead of time as well. Freeze them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
• Chop the onion and celery a day ahead and store them in the refrigerator in separate resealable plastic bags.
• Don't mix the wet and dry stuffing ingredients together until you are ready to stuff the bird. And once the bird is stuffed, you should roast it right away.
• If time is short and you can't make the bread cubes from scratch, you can make this recipe using purchased stuffing bread mix.