Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 12 to 16
- Streusel Topping
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounces) container plain low-fat yogurt or 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/2-inch dice
2. Make the streusel: Combine the brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients with a fork or rub together with your fingertips until crumbly and the butter is completely incorporated. Stir in the walnuts. To make in a food processor: Put the sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor and pulse on/off until the mixture is crumbly. Add the nuts and pulse on/off to blend.
3. Make the cake: In a large bowl and using an electric mixer of medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce to mixer speed to medium and beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and yogurt until well blended.
4. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the flour just until blended, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
5. Spoon 3 cups of the batter into the prepared pan, and spread evenly. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel, the apples, then 1/2 cup of streusel. Spoon the remaining batter over the filling and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel, pressing down lightly so it sticks to the batter.
6. Bake the cake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Set the cake in the pan on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Place a cookie sheet over the pan and carefully invert both. Remove the pan and cool the cake completely.
7. To serve, invert the cake right side up onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Notes• Store the coffee cake loosely covered at cool room temperature for up to 3 days.
• This cake s wonderful with apples, but it can also be made with pears or a mixture of berries.