Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 cups cold chicken broth, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or a pinch of dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Enough ready-made pie dough for 2 (10-inch) pies (about 24-ounces)
- 6 large (15-ounce) ramekins
- 1 egg, beaten
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes, or until the flour is a light tan color and smells like cooked piecrust. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of cold chicken broth. Simmer over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and reserve.
Add the vegetables and broth from the other pan when ready, and stir to combine. Add the chicken, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring back to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and set aside until needed.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Divide the pot pie filling between the 6 ramekins (you should fill up to 1/2-inch from the top. Cut out circles of pie dough 1-inch larger than the width of the ramekins. Place the dough over the pot pies. Go around each piece of dough, folding a 1/2-inch over to form a rim. If desired, pinch with your finger tips to form a crimped edge. Cut a small "X" in the center of each crust.
Place the ramekins on a sheet pan. Brush the tops with the beaten egg. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until pies are golden brown and bubbly. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.