Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cooked turkey or chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 pounds)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, green beans), thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (9 to 14 ounces)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large saucepan, mix the butter, flour, chicken broth, and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the chicken, vegetables, tarragon, thyme, ground red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Transfer the mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. If necessary, roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured into a 14-by-10-inch rectangle. Moisten the rim of the baking dish with water and place the pastry over the filling. Tuck the edges under and press firmly to the rim of the dish. Make a few slits in the pastry and brush with the beaten egg.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is golden. Let the potpie stand for 10 minutes before serving.