The Soul food specialty of chicken and dumplings can be a time-consuming process. Biscuits offer an incredible shortcut—they are cut into pieces and dropped into a boiling chicken broth. Not long after, they have transformed into dumplings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (7.5-ounce) roll Pillsbury’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken meat from a rotisserie chicken
- 2 scallions, chopped
1. In a medium pot, add chicken broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, remove biscuits from the package, and cut each biscuit into small pieces.
3. Once the chicken broth is boiling, drop each biscuit piece into the broth, careful not to splatter yourself with hot broth.
4. When the biscuits are in the chicken stock, reduce the heat to medium, and cover the pot with a lid. Cook about 20 minutes until dumplings are fluffy and fully-cooked.
5. Stir in the chicken, and cook for a few minutes until chicken is warmed. Ladle soup into a bowl, garnish with scallions, and serve.