Prep Time: 21 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 21 minutes
- 1 quart cold water
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups crushed tomato
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- cooked spaghetti to serve chili over, optional
- Add beef and water to a 4-quart pot. Bring to a simmer while stirring until the ground beef is in very small pieces. Simmer for 30 minutes and add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on low, uncovered, for 3 hours. Add water as needed if the chili becomes to thick.
- Refrigerated the chili overnight, and the next day remove the layer of fat from top before reheating and serving.
1-way: just the chili
2-way: chili served over spaghetti
3-way: chili, spaghetti, and grated Cheddar cheese
4-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
5-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans
All "ways" are served with oyster crackers.