Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- Pastry Dough
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 5 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups (12 ounces) fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Remove 1/3 of the dough and shape it into a disk about 1-inch thick. Do the same for the remaining dough, shape it flattened disk about 1 inch thick.
3. Make the filling: combine the apples, cranberries, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and toss to mix well.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll out the large piece of dough into a 13-inch circle. Line a 10-inch deep dish pie pan with the dough.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
6. Spread the filling in the pie shell. Dot the butter over the filling.
7. Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter, or sharp knife, cut 10 1/2-inch wide strips. Arrange 5 strips evenly spaced, on top of the filling, using the longest in the center. Top with the remaining strips in the opposite direction, Press ends to edge of the bottom crust, and trim off the excess. Bring he bottom crust up over the edges of the strips into an even rim. Flute or crimp the rim. Brush the lattice with the cream, then sprinkle with the sugar.
8. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pie to a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature.