Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules or powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 4 slices firm white bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (See Recipe Notes below)
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted. Whisk in the remaining milk, then the eggs until blended. Stir in the bread and chocolate chips. Pour into the baking dish.
3. Place the dish in the pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to come halfway up sides of the dish.
4. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove the dish from the water to a wire rack. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Recipe Notes• You can use baguettes or country bread for this pudding, white or whole-wheat. Be sure that the bread is firm, if not the pudding will be soggy.
• Store the bread pudding tightly covered in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature or warm in the oven before serving.