Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 1 single-pie crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- Yolk from 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
2. Press the dough into a ball, then flatten into a 1-inch round. If not using immediately, wrap with plastic and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
To mix by hand: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter and shortening with 2 knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and stir with a fork until the mixture begins to clump together.