Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 2 butternut squash (4 3/4 pounds), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or more to taste
2. In a large pot over medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook until the onion is softened, about 15 minutes. Add the squash and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
3. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and process in batches until smooth. Return the puree to the pot. Stir in the curry powder, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, thinning the soup with more broth if necessary. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.