Makes 8 Servings of Pierogi Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 onions, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles in salted water and set aside. In a pan, heat the butter on medium, and sautÃ© the onions until soft and sweet. Reserve 1/2 cup of the onions, and a tablespoon of the butter for the top of the casserole. Make the mashed potatoes, and add the onions (except the reserved portion), salt, pepper, sour cream, and cheese. Mix well.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place 3 noodles on the bottom and spread 1/3 of the potato mixture over. Repeat - making three layers of potato and 4 layers of noodles. Spread the remaining onions and butter on the top layer of noodles. Take a knife and cut the casserole into portion-size squares to make serving easier.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F., for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bale for 10 more minutes to lightly brown the top. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.