Makes 4 Portions of Tuna Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced fine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tuna (7-oz), well drained, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the macaroni in salted water, according to directions. Drain, rinse in cold water, and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and sauté the onions and bell pepper over med-low heat for about 2 minutes. Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring, for another 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk, mushroom soup, salt, and pepper, and stir on low heat until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Add the cooked sauce to the bowl of macaroni. Add the tuna, peas and 1/2 cup of the cheese, and mix with a spatula to combine. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 buttered casserole dish, and top with the rest of the cheese. Mix the breadcrumbs and olive oil until combined and spread evenly over the casserole. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until bubbling and browned.