Makes 4 Portions of Tuna Noodle Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 oz dry egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tuna (6-oz), well drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the noodles in salted water, according to directions. Drain, rinse in cold water, and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and sauté the onions over med-low heat for about 3 minutes. Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, mushroom soup, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to simmer and thickens.
- Add the cooked sauce to the bowl of noodles. Add the tuna, peas and 1/2 the cheese, and mix with a spatula to combine. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 buttered casserole dish, and top with the rest of the cheese. Mix the breadcrumbs and olive oil until combined and spread evenly over the casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, until bubbling and browned.