Serves 8 to 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
- 5 pound corned beef brisket (1/2 whole brisket)
- 3 tbsp coursely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Remove the corned beef brisket from the package and rinse off thoroughly. Pat dry, and trim off most of the fat, leaving only a 1/8 inch layer.
- Mix all of the spices in a small bowl and rub evenly on both sides of the corned beef.
- Drizzle the oil on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 3 feet long) and place the corned beef on top. Fold up the foil, wrapping tightly. Flip over, fold side down, on another piece of foil and wrap the meat again. Repeat 3 more times with large sheets of aluminum foil, so that it is completely encased. Be sure to use lots of foil to ensure a tight seal. Place in a roasting pan, as some juice may still escape.
- Place in a 240 degree F. oven for 5 hours. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight still wrapped. The next day, unwrap and thinly slice the cold meat across the grain. Warm the slices in a pan with a few crops of water, and serve warm on rye bread with mustard.