Once your sauce is made, and your lasagna noodles are cooked, putting this famous Italian-American casserole together really isn't too hard. This is a perfect choice for feeding large groups.
Makes 12 servings of Lasagna
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
- For the meat sauce:
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups marina sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian dried herb blend.
- For the cheese filling:
- 2 egg, beaten
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Reggiano-Parmigiano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- big pinch of cayenne
- The rest:
- 1 lb lasagna noodles (about 18)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, torn in small pieces for top
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese to top
Add all the ingredients for the cheese filling to a mixing bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined. Reserve. Boil the lasagna noodles one minute less than the directions state. Drain and hold in cold water until needed.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread 2 cups of the meat sauce into a 15" x 10" lasagna pan. Top with 1/3 of the noodles. Spread over 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Ladle over 2 cups of the meat sauce. Repeat this layer. Finish with the last of the noodles over the top. Spread over the rest of the sauce, and top with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil (be careful not to let the surface touch the foil when wrapping. Bake, covered for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 35-40 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Let rest at least 15 minutes before serving.