Makes 6-10 Portions of Corned Beef and Cabbage
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- 3 1/2 to 5 pound corned beef brisket
- spice packet from the corned beef package
- 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or as needed
- 2 pound red potatoes, cut in half
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 onions, large dice
- 3 stalks celery, large dice
- 1 green cabbage, cored, sliced in 8 wedges
- Place the corned beef, 1 teaspoon of the salt, pepper and spices into a large pot along with 3 quarts of cold water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining salt if needed (see note above), potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the potatoes and vegetables are tender. Slice the corned beef against the grain and serve in a bowl topped with cabbage, vegetables, and some of the cooking liquid. Serve with dark bread and mustard on the side.