Makes 10 Low-Fat Southern Fried Chicken Thighs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 10 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, for dredging
- canola or peanut oil, for frying
- In a mixing bowl combine the chicken, buttermilk, paprika, cayenne, and half the salt and black pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate.
- Add the flour, and remaining salt and black pepper, to a baking dish. Using tongs, remove the chicken, 2-3 pieces at a time and coat well in the seasoned flour. Be sure to press the flour into the meat cover completely. Shake off excess and reserve on a baking sheet.
- When all the chicken is dredged in the flour, add about an inch of oil to a heavy frying pan. Over medium-high flame, heat the oil to 375 degrees F. Test by dropping a small piece of coating from the chicken into the oil. The coating will bubble and begin to fry. Add the chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, until the outside is browned and the meat is cooked through. Serve immediately, or hold in a warm oven if doing in batches.