Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 12 oz sliced ham
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- low-fat milk, as needed (about 3 cups)
- 3 tbsp butter
- Grease 9 x 13 baking dish with 1 tbsp of the butter. Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the dish and season with freshly ground black pepper. The sliced ham may be salty enough to season the potatoes, but season with salt as desired. Evenly layer half the ham over the potatoes.
- Add another layer of potatoes, pepper, salt and the rest of the ham. Top with the last 1/3 of the potatoes, and pour over the milk to just cover the potatoes. Dot the top evenly with the remaining butter. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown. Cover with foil if the top gets browned before the potatoes are done to finish cooking.