Yields: 5 one-cup portions Succotash
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno or other small hot chili pepper, diced
- 1 cup green or golden summer squash, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups canned Lima beans, drained or frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place a large sauté pan on high heat until very hot.
- Add 1 tsp of the oil, the corn, peppers, and onion, then sauté until the vegetables start to brown and caramelize slightly. This should only take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil, squash, cumin, salt, black pepper and garlic.
- Cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the broth, cilantro, and lima beans. Simmer until all the vegetables are tender. It should take about 5 minutes.