Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
Yield: Makes 24 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup warm buttermilk (105° to 115°F)
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope (or 1 scant tablespoon) active dry yeast
2. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and water. Stir in the sugar and yeast, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
3. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll out to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut with a 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter into 24 biscuits. Arrange the biscuits about 1-inch-apart on the prepared baking sheet. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm draft-free place for about 20 minutes, or until puffy.
4. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.