Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 burritos
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 8 ounces), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 (7-inch) flour or whole wheat tortillas, stacked and wrapped in aluminum foil
- 2 cans (about 16 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (14 1/2 to 16 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
2. Place the wrapped tortillas in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn the oven off and keep the tortillas in the oven until ready to use.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the beans, chicken broth, and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 7 minutes, or until about half the broth is left. Remove the pan from the heat. With a potato masher or slotted spoon, mash to a thick paste.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes, or until lightly browned and almost tender.
5. Add the pork and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside and barely pink in the center. Add the tomatoes and all but 1 tablespoon of the chopped green chilies. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes, or until the pork cooked through. Remove the skillet from the heat.
6. In a small bowl, mix the reserved 1 tablespoon of chilies and the sour cream. Remove the tortillas from the oven.
7. To assemble the burritos, spoon 1/4 cup of the bean mixture slightly below the center of each tortilla. Top with a scant 1/3 cup of the pork mixture. Fold the bottom of the tortilla to cover the filling. Fold the sides toward the center, then roll up from the bottom. Serve with the sour cream mixture to spoon over the tops, and garnish with the cherry tomatoes.