American Comfort Foods - Recipes to Feed the Body and Warm the Soul
Stews and Chili
Great comfort foods have to be able to satisfy you, no matter what mood you're in. Sometimes a simple and savory stew is just what you need, other times you need that 5-alarm chili to fix you up.
- How to Make Beef Stew
- Classic Beef Stew
- Veal Stew over Egg Noodles
- Harvest Pork and Butternut Squash Stew
- Two-Bean Chicken Chili
- Beef Barley Stew
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya
- Turkey Chili
- Lamb Stew
- Classic Chili Con Carne
- Chili Verde - Green Pork Stew
- Cioppino - San Francisco's Famous Seafood Stew
There's something special about a bubbling-hot casserole, with its beautifully browned crusty top, sitting in the middle of a dinner table. For many, these recipes epitomize home cooking at it's best.
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Shepherd's Pie with Mashed Potato Topping
- Easy Turkey Pot Pie
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
Soups and Chowders
How can you eat a big bowl of hot soup and not feel better? Grab a spoon, a crusty piece of bread, and enjoy one of life's simple pleasures.
- Sausage and Chicken Gumbo Recipe
- Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
- Portuguese Potato and Kale Soup
- Lentil Soup with Smoked Ham Hock
- Salmon and Corn Chowder
Meatloaf is one of the all-time classic comfort foods. There are as many recipes for this slice of Americana, as there are loving cooks ready to make it.
- Secrets to a Perfectly Moist Meatloaf
- "All-American" Meatloaf Recipe
- Super Sausage Meatloaf
- Easy Cheesy Salsa Meatloaf
- Turkey and Cheddar Meatloaf
Breads and Pancakes
Whether it's a warm hunk of cornbread to dip in chili, or perfectly-made pancakes waiting for the slow stream of maple syrup, this category of comfort foods satisfies like no other.
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- Cinnamon Pancakes with Spiced Maple Cream
- Lemon Waffles with Fresh Blueberries
- Whole-Wheat Banana Pancakes