American Comfort Foods - Recipes to Feed the Body and Warm the Soul
By Kathy Kingsley, About.com Guide
Stews and Chili
Great comfort foods have to be able to satisfy you, no matter what mood you're in. Sometimes a simple and savory stew is just what you need, other times you need that 5-alarm chili to fix you up.
- Beef Barley Stew
- Harvest Pork and Butternut Squash Stew
- Veal Stew over Egg Noodles
- Classic Beef Stew
- Two-Bean Chicken Chili
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya
- Turkey Chili
- Lamb Stew
- Classic Chili Con Carne
- Chili Verde - Green Pork Stew
- Cioppino - San Francisco's Famous Seafood Stew
Soups and Chowders
How can you eat a big bowl of hot soup and not feel better? Grab a spoon, a crusty piece of bread, and enjoy one of life's simple pleasures.
- Salmon and Corn Chowder
- Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
- Portuguese Potato and Kale Soup
- Lentil Soup with Smoked Ham Hock
Meatloaf is one of the all-time classic comfort foods. There are as many recipes for this slice of Americana, as there are loving cooks ready to make it.
- Secrets to a Perfectly Moist Meatloaf
- "All-American" Meatloaf Recipe
- Super Sausage Meatloaf
- Easy Cheesy Salsa Meatloaf
- Turkey and Cheddar Meatloaf
There's something special about a bubbling-hot casserole, with its beautifully browned crusty top, sitting in the middle of a dinner table. For many, these recipes epitomize home cooking at it's best.
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Asparagus and Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Beefy Corkscrew Casserole
Breads and Pancakes
Whether it's a warm hunk of cornbread to dip in chili, or perfectly-made pancakes waiting for the slow stream of maple syrup, this category of comfort foods satisfies like no other.
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- Cinnamon Pancakes with Spiced Maple Cream
- Lemon Waffles with Fresh Blueberries
- Whole-Wheat Banana Pancakes