Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 1/2 cups homemade tomato sauce, or one 25-ounce jar tomato sauce
- 1 pound whole or part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces ziti
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, egg, basil, salt, and pepper to taste and mix until well blended.
3. Add the ziti to the boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to the cooking pot.
4. Spread some of the tomato-mushroom mixture over bottom of a 13-by- 9-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the drained pasta, tofu mixture, remaining tomato-mushroom mixture, and the chopped parsley, and fold gently to blend.
5. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the mozzarella. Place the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with the garlic bread (below).