Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- One 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained well
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni (6 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat or whole milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Set aside. 3. In a small skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan form the heat.
4. Add the macaroni to the boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until the pasta is just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and drain again.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir in the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese, cooked onion mixture, broccoli, and macaroni. Pour the mixture into the the prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with the reserved bread crumb mixture.
6. Bake the pie, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, until lightly golden and the tip of a knife comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Recipe Notes• To make an arugula and lettuce salad to go with the baked pasta: In a large serving bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of red wine or sherry vinegar and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil; season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 2 bunches of fresh arugula, stemmed, and 1 head of romaine, torn into small pieces, and toss to coat. Serve the salad with the pasta pie.
• You can bake the pasta pie ahead, and once cooled, cover and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. To reheat, cover with foil and place in 300°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.