Makes 4 Portions Creamy Cauliflower Spaghetti Alfredo
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- For the pasta:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, cored, cut in large pieces
- water to cover (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herb blend
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 14-oz box spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
In a medium saucepan, warm the garlic cloves in the olive oil over low heat for a few minutes, or until the cloves begin to bubble. Do not brown the garlic. Add the cauliflower, enough water to cover, dried herbs, pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until the cauliflower is soft.
Turn off the heat. Use a stick blender (or standard blender) to puree the mixture into a smooth sauce. If it seems too thick add a little water or broth, if it's too thin simply simmer until it reduces and thickens up. Then, stir in the cream, and add the Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Cover and reserve.
Boil the spaghetti according to directions and drain well. Return to the pot, add the lemon juice, and pour over the cauliflower sauce. Toss to coat the pasta. Divide into four pasta bowls and serve hot topped with the toasted Parmesan breadcrumbs.