The secret of these cheese grits is the inclusion of cream cheese, which offers a sultry creaminess to the grits. Grits need a bolt of flavor from the salt, butter and cheese.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
1. In a medium pot, add milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Over medium-high heat, bring the liquid to a slight boil.
2. When milk is bubbling, whisk in grits. Reduce heat, letting grits cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
3. Add butter, cream cheese and Cheddar cheese to the grits, stirring until they are melted into the grits. Taste, adjust seasonings, if necessary, and serve.