Makes 4 Beet and Pear Salads with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 large red beets, stems trimmed, washed
- 1 ripe pear, cored, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut halves
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 4 oz goat cheese (either firm-style aged, or softer fresh goat cheese)
Wrap the beets in foil, place in a small baking dish, and bake for 1 hour, or until tender (test with a small knife). Allow to cool completely. When cool, scrap off the skin with a knife, and slice the beets as thin as possible; reserve.
Fan the beet slices on four chilled salad plates. Top with the sliced pear and walnuts. In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, and walnut oil. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Toss the arugula with a couple tablespoons of the dressing, and divide on top of each salad. Top each plate with the goat cheese (grate fine if using firm, aged goat cheese, or simply crumble if using soft goat cheese).
Drizzle each beet and pear salad with more of the dressing, serving an extra on the side. Serve immediately.