Turnips get a bad rap, honestly. When boiled and mashed, in addition to being sweetened by sugar and touched by the richness of butter, turnips equal deliciousness. Trust me, this recipe will convert the turnip non-believers.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into a large dice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add turnips, cooking until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes (Use a knife to check the tenderness of the turnips.).
2. Drain water from turnips, adding turnips back into pot. Add butter, sugar, pepper and salt. Mash the turnips with butter and seasonings using a potato masher, until reaching a desired consistency. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.