Makes 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 bunches baby beets (golden, Cioggia, or red), or 2 regular beets
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 celery root, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 six-ounce boneless sea bass filets (any firm white fish will work)
- white pepper to taste, or cayenne pepper if desired
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped chervil or Italian parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the top and bottom of the beets and place in a small baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, and wrap tightly in foil. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the beets are tender. When cool enough to handle, rub off the skin with a paper towel, or parry knife, and cut in quarters. Reserve until needed.
- Add 2 tbsps of olive oil and celery root to a saucepan, and sweat over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the wine is almost gone (about 5 minutes). Add the vegetable stock and cook covered for until the celery root is just tender. Turn off heat. Add the lemon juice and zest, remaining olive oil, reserved beets, and salt to taste. Cover and reserve.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the fish. Heat a non-stick skillet on med-high until hot. Add the grapeseed oil and sear the fish for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook for one minute more. Turn the fish and cook until desired doneness is reached. Remove and cover loosely with foil until plating.
- Over high heat, bring the vegetable mixture to a boil, turn off and add the herbs. Stir and spoon into 6 serving bowls. Top with the fish filets and serve immediately. Garnish with extra springs of herb if desired.