Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 6 cups homemade fish stock (see note below), bottled clam juice or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled, shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds halibut, thaddock, or cod fillets or steaks (about 1 inch thick), skinned, boned, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- Chopped fresh chives or scallion tops, for garnish (optional)
2. Stir in the potatoes and garlic. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender.
3. Add the fish stock, clam juice or broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the carrots. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Gradually stir in the milk and cream, then the fish. Return the soup to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the fish is barely opaque in center.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chives or scallion tops. Serve right away.