This chicken soup recipe was inspired by one posted on the blog Dishing Up Delights.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 14 ounces whole tomatoes in puree, crushed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips to garnish, optional
After 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts from the soup with tongs, and allow to cool on a plate. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat, and add back to the soup. Continue simmering the soup until the vegetables are tender.
Serve soup hot garnished with optional toppings.