Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 8 cups low-sodium turkey or chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium green bell pepper,seeded and cut into thin strips (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 vine-ripened medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 ripe medium Hass avocado, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 6 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, diced
- 3/4 cup mild or medium-spicy thick and chunky salsa
- Sour cream (optional)
2. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, or until softened.
3. Add the broth, chicken, and cumin. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the bell pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the pepper is just tender. Stir in the cilantro.
4. Divide the tortilla strips, tomatoes, avocados, cheese, and salsa among 6 bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls and garnish with sour cream. Serve right away.
Recipe Notes• Canned broth is a convenient alternative for homemade stock but it is high in sodium (salt). If this is of concern to you, make your own stock, or use low-salt or unsalted versions in order to have control over the seasonings. As a general rule, always taste the soup first before adding extra seasoning.
• To rescue oversalted soups, add a thinly sliced, peeled medium-size potato to the soup and simmer for about 10 minutes to absorb the salt, then remove the potato.
• Many soups taste much better the second or third day, giving the flavors time to fully develop. Store the cooled soup in an airtight container. Avoid metal containers, which could impart a metallic taste to the soup.
• You can freeze this soup in an airtight freezer container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and slowly reheat to avoid overcooking the ingredients. For quick serving, freeze leftover soup in individual portions and reheat in the microwave.