Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Pumpkin Filling
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 16-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled t fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Honey Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Press the dough into a ball, then flatten it into a disc, about 1-inch thick.
3. On a lightly floured surface using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough. Turn he edges under, and crimp or flute the crust. Set the pie shell on a rimmed baking sheet.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Brush about teaspoon of the egg around the edge of the crust.
6. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, sugar, ginger, pumpkin pie spice and salt to the eggs, and mix until well blended. Pour the filling into the pie crust.
7. Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is set. If the edges become too dark during baking, carefully cover them with foil strips (see Recipe Notes). Set the pie on a wire rack to cool. If not serving right away, cover and chill.
8. When ready to serve, make the honey whipped cream. Put the cream into a medium bowl. Add the honey and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Serve the pie topped with the whipped cream.