Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- Olive Oil Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Butternut Squash Filling
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash,peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium baking apple (Mutsu, Jonagold, or Rome), peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rough circle, about 14 inches in diameter and slightly less than 1/4-inch-thick. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and fit it into the bottom and sides. Trim the excess dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
3. Lightly prick the bottom of the pastry shell with a fork, then line with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the shell until pale golden, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake the shell until golden all over, about 15 minutes more. set the crust on a wire rack to b cool.
4. To make the filling: Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss the squash cubes, apples and onions with the olive oil, salt and black pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and roast until the vegetables are golden and tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and mash the mixture with a fork or potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in the egg, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
5. Scrape the mixture into the crust. Bake the tart at 350°F until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot, about 15 minutes. Serve the tart warm.