This pickled green tomato recipe featured a sweet, sour, and mildly spicy brine that pairs perfectly with the firm, tart tomatoes.
Makes 1 Quart Jar Pickled Green Tomatoes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 2 cups cider vinegar, plus 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound green tomatoes, quartered, or enough to fill the jar almost to the top
- 1 quart-size canning jar with lid, washed thoroughly, rinsed, dried
Slice the tomatoes into quarters and pack into the clean jar. Pour the warm liquid over the tomatoes stopping 1/2 inch from the top. Slide a clean spoon around the inside of each jar to remove any air bubbles. Make sure the tomatoes are pushed below the pickling liquid.
Screw the lid on firmly and refrigerate. The pickled green tomatoes will be ready to enjoy in about 3 months.